I’ve been gathering parts for the pendant shown for several weeks. After receiving a copy of Mary Hettmansperger’s Wrap, Stitch, Fold & Rivet from my son for Christmas, I’ve wanted to try a Dreamcatcher rendition of her woven windows pin. My pendant has significantly less weaving than what she shows, however for a first attempt, I think it’s OK. The darkness of the photo negates some of my “gatherings” for the weaving. The basic loom for the window is made of copper mesh from Hobby Lobby. The turquoise colored yarn was secured in an excursion to the Alpaca farm, Old Oaks Ranch, outside of Wimberley, TX. I also used some 20 gauge copper wire for threading a few black onyx beads and one Swarovski crystal. The pieces are put together with dark brown artistic wire. When I first started this piece disappointment set right in as my initial weaving was a disaster. But, banking on my creativity training, I resisted closure until things improved. As you can see from the pictures of the parts of the pendant, separately, they weren’t very impressive, but I think perseverance paid off as I kept working and hoping for the best.( I’m thinking turquoise for stringing.)
For a couple of months, I’ve been struggling a bit with just how best to attach a fringe of beads to a copper envelope. My first few attempts crashed. After finishing a couple of pieces, I wore them around the house, as is my custom with a new design, and realized that, although the pieces looked great, they were not easy to keep in alignment while wearing. So I went back to the drawing table. Finally, just before the holidays, I was able to develop a double strand as pictured on the right. The two hole rectangular beads worked great for keeping the two strands separate and allowing me to attach the bead fringe to the lower strand. I’ve made a couple of similar pieces using this technique. Yet as I remained open to other possibilities, an “aha” presented itself the other day while working with 20 gauge wire. The technique on the triangular piece holds many options for further design. Before folding this piece, I drilled holes on the fold line where I wanted the bead wire to be placed. Then, I used copper wire to go inside the fold, forming a place to attach the fringe. The wire swirls on the top of the fold provided a spot to attach the beaded necklace.
Now I have two options for pursuing my metal pounding habit. I would like to try to minimize this design for a more feminine piece before moving on to more expensive metal.
I think it was Pasteur who indicated that chance favors the prepared mind. It seems that an “aha” that really works creeps into the mind after hours, days, weeks or even months of working to solve a problem. Thus the mind is prepared to recognize the “aha”. Perhaps prior to the struggle, the mind has not learned enough to be ready for the right idea. I must bear this in mind during the “struggling” period and not grow so impatient waiting for the “chance” to appear.
All the members of my family received new books for Christmas. Since today, the day after Christmas has proven to be a time of relaxation, the late afternoon found all four of them in pleasant repose in the den enjoying the narration of various authors until . . . “pound, pound, pound” . . . “COOL” came from the mud room. Yes, I have a new bench block and stamps for metal. Sitting on the floor, I was having a great time hammering until the laugher swirled out of the den. I guess my mode of relaxation didn’t quite fit with theirs. I can’t wait to use the stamps for the many projects I have planned, but perhaps I might find a better time to work - - - or perhaps they may as well just get used to the pounding.